The VFF Scholars Program takes place Wednesday, October 31 through Monday, November 5, 2018. The VFF Scholars Program consists of:
- a mentored and guided program of studies, discussions, and overall experience led by a Lead Film Scholar
- viewing 8-10 movies during the 2018 Virginia Film Festival, curated by the Lead Film Scholar and VFF’s Programmer
- 8-10 group meetings for discussions, intimate Q&A sessions with Festival guests and VFF Advisory Board Members, and attending VFF panel discussions
- 2-3 short readings
- post-program reflection survey
Lead Film Scholar
Harry Chotiner, professor of film at New York University will serve as the Lead Film Scholar and Mentor of the 2018 VFF Scholars Program.
Born and raised in Los Angeles to an upper-middle class Jewish family, Harry has always been connected the world of film. After college, he went to Rabbinical school for one year before dropping out to get a PhD in History. Harry went on to be the Editor of Socialist Review Magazine, Reader for Francis Coppola at Zoetrope Studios, Head of Story Department at CBS Theatrical Films, Vice President of Creative Affairs at 20th Century Fox, Executive Vice President in film division at Interscope before leaving the movie business to teach History in high school and adult education film classes at New York University. Most importantly, he is married to a wonderful human rights lawyer and is the father of three adorable kids and three delicious grandkids.
All UVA undergraduate and graduate, part-time and full-time students of any year are welcome to apply. After a competitive application process, 10-12 Student Scholars will be selected to enroll.
VFF Scholars will receive:
- complimentary admission into all film screenings chosen as part of the Scholars’ course of study
- full credentials to the 2018 VFF, gaining them access to the Filmmakers & Sponsors Lounge
- two complimentary group dinners to kick-off and wrap-up the Scholars Program
How To Apply: application details and deadline will be announced in August 2018. Check back soon for further information.