2019. See below for a complete list of films and countries. 98 min
The Animation Show of Shows returns for its 20th year to present 15 thought-provoking, poignant, and very funny animated shorts from around the world. This year’s works explore the universality of shared ideals, as well as the diverse challenges we all face. Among the program highlights is the very funny computer animation The Green Bird, winner of a 2018 Gold Student Academy Award® International Animation, which harks back to classic cartoons of the mid-20th century. Oscar-winning director John Kahrs’ Age of Sail, the latest in Google’s series of Spotlight Stories, chronicles the adventures of an old sailor who rescues a teenage girl after she falls overboard. One Small Step, Bobby Pontillas and Andrew Chesworth’s inspiring story of a Chinese-American girl’s dream of being an astronaut, centers on her evolving relationship with her father. The beautifully designed Weekends, by Trevor Jimenez, explores the complex emotional landscape of a young boy and his recently divorced parents, as he shuttles between their very different homes and lives.
This screening is part of our 2019 VAFF at Violet Crown series.
The 20th annual Animation Show of Shows includes 15 films, four of which qualified for 2019 Academy Award® consideration*. The complete lineup, in order of appearance, is:
- The Green Bird * – Maximilien Bougeois, Quentin Dubois, Marine Goalard, Irina Nguyen, Pierre Perveyrie, France
- One Small Step * – Andrew Chesworth, Bobby Pontillas, U.S.
- Grands Canons – Alain Biet, France
- Barry – Anchi Shen, U.S.
- Super Girl – Nancy Kangas, Josh Kun, U.S.
- Love Me, Fear Me – Veronica Solomon, Germany
- Business Meeting – Guy Charnaux, Brazil
- Flower Found! – Jorn Leeuwerink, The Netherlands
- Bullets – Nancy Kangas, Josh Kun, U.S.
- A Table Game – Nicolás Petelski, Spain
- Carlotta’s Face – Valentin Riedl, Frédéric Schuld, Germany
- Age of Sail * – John Kahrs, U.S.
- Polaris – Hikari Toriumi, U.S.
- My Moon – Eusong Lee, U.S.
- Weekends * – Trevor Jimenez, U.S.