2020 Volunteer Program On Hold
In light of the evolving COVID-19 situation, our 5-day Film Festival will shift to a virtual format this fall. The VAFF will be presented on its originally-scheduled dates, October 21-25, and will feature a diverse slate of features, documentaries, and shorts alongside panels, Q&As, and a series of conversations with leading industry experts and artists.
And as such, we will be placing our Volunteer Program on hold for the 2020 Fall Festival. We, alongside the whole VAFF team, will deeply miss working with you all this Fall, and we remain hopeful that we will be back with in-person events in 2021!
If you would like for us to reach out when our 2021 Volunteer Interest Form is launched or if you would like to update your contact information with us, please click the orange button below to complete the update form.
2021 Volunteer Updates
Volunteer Interest Form
To facilitate the process of matching volunteers to the Festival needs this year, we ask all potential volunteers, even returning volunteers, to complete our yearly interest form. We ask you for your contact information, which roles you are particularly interested in, and your availability during the Festival weekend. Armed with your Interest Form answers, our Volunteer Coordinator, Jenny Gardiner will be in touch with you individually beginning the week of September 21, 2020 as we begin to assign roles.
Please note the following:
- Pay special attention to entering your email address correctly on our volunteer interest form. After submitting this form, you will receive an automatic confirmation from us. If you do not receive this confirmation within 24 hours of submitting your form, then you likely entered your email address incorrectly and we suggest you either re-apply or contact our Volunteer Coordinator at firstname.lastname@example.org. Given the volume of applications we receive, if we receive a interest form with an invalid email, we will delete the form from our database.
- Submitting an interest form does not guarantee you will be offered a role, as we tend to receive more applications than positions each year.
Family Day Volunteer Interest Form
VAFF is looking for UVA students and community members to support free and inclusive activities celebrating the arts for families of all ages. Family Day features a family-friendly film screening; a Musical Instrument Petting Zoo hosted by the Charlottesville Symphony at the University of Virginia; and an Interactive Arts Festival with arts workshops and demonstrations by UVA groups for students of all ages.2020 Family Day Volunteer Form (Coming Soon)
Overview and Requirements
Volunteering for the VAFF is a wonderful way to give back to your community, meet new friends, and see amazing films and filmmakers. Each year, we look for volunteers to fill the roles listed below:
- Event Set Up and Breakdown
- Family Day Staff
- Office Support
- Party Staff
- Publicity and Photography
- Screening Venue Ushers
- Venue Managers
- For those who have volunteered before, you will need to complete a volunteer interest form every year.
- Age: The minimum age to volunteer at the VAFF is 15.
- Training: All volunteers are expected to attend our Volunteer Kick-Off and Training Session on Monday, October 19, 2020.
- Party Volunteers: All party volunteers must be at least 21 years old.
- Drivers: All drivers must have a valid driver’s license, agree to a DMV and criminal background check, complete an online form to initiate the required background checks, be familiar with the local area, and be at least 25 years old.
VAFF Volunteers rock! As a way to say thank you, all of our volunteers will receive:
- Uniform: A complimentary Volunteer badge, lanyard, and long-sleeve t-shirt
- Party: An invitation to the Volunteer Appreciation Party in mid-November
- Private Screening: An invitation to a Volunteer-only private screening in mid-November
- Merchandise Discount: A 20% discount off Festival merchandise purchases
Please note: You are not considered a volunteer, thus do not qualify for the benefits above, until you are scheduled to work a shift.
Tools for Volunteers
Once you have received confirmation that you will be a VAFF volunteer, you can use the Festival’s Volunteer Portal via the button below to check your schedule, record your volunteer service hours, and much more…anytime, and from any device.
Additional Volunteer Resources:
- Volunteer Manual
- Descriptions of our Volunteer Roles
- List of VAFF venues with addresses and parking options